Archive for the: General News category
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on July 16th 2015 in Financial, General News
Malcolm Swift started at the then named Michael Pavey Insurance Brokers in 1991, becoming managing director of financial services at the company – now Pavey Group – in 1998.
The father of two, and grandfather of three, started his career 45 years ago. He steps down as managing director, with financial services director Michele Parker taking the role, but stays at the company, which has its head office at Edginswell Park in Torquay, switching to working two days a week.
"Firstly I want to praise my successor Michele Parker. Anyone who knows Michele will be aware of her experience and technical expertise...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on March 26th 2015 in Financial, General News, Insurance
A Devon-based insurance and financial services company has bought an established local insurance broker to expand its operations in Exeter.
Pavey Group, which has offices in Torquay and Exeter and employs 90 people, has bought Buddens Westinsure, founded in 1985, as part of the group’s on-going growth strategy. The deal was completed in March.
Already recognised as a Top 100 Independent Broker nationally, the expansion means Pavey Group will be able to offer enhanced benefits, including a fully managed claims service and independent financial advice to all former Buddens Westinsure clients.
It also means extending the range of expertise at Pavey Group, with...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on March 12th 2015 in General News
We had a superb evening at the South West Tourism Awards, it truly was a celebration of Tourism Excellence in the South West, held at a very fitting setting on the Grand Pier, Weston-super-Mare, with more than 300 guests in attendance.
Pavey Group are proud to be long standing sponsors of the Devon, Cornwall and South West Tourism Awards, choosing the Self Catering Category due to the strong affinity to the sector through our exclusive ‘Cottagesure’ scheme for self-catering businesses.
Melanie Birchell, Director, was delighted to present the 6 awards to very worthy winners. The category finalists were exceptional...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on November 20th 2014 in Financial, General News, Insurance
'Crash for cash' are road traffic accidents deliberately caused in order to claim whiplash compensation. Organised gangs are at the heart of the increase in the number of these induced accidents. Although this is not a common occurrence in the South-West we should be mindful of these activities as they could become more prevalent to us locally.How to minimise the risk of being targeted by the cash for crash fraudsters:
- Stay alert: Pay attention to your driving and the cars/traffic around you.
- Keep your distance: Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and the one in front.
- Roundabouts and slip roads: fraudsters target roundabouts and slip roads...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on October 28th 2014 in General News, Insurance
- If you are hosting a Halloween or bonfire night party in you back garden make sure front windows and doors are locked.
- Leave a radio and lights on to give the impression that people are at home.
- Use a timer switch to turn lights on as it gets dark.
- Avoid telling strangers who know your address – such as delivery men – that your house is likely to be empty.
- Put your car and bikes in your garage or out of the way for the night and don’t leave your keys in an obvious place.
- Move garden ornaments and potted plants from...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on October 27th 2014 in Financial, General News, Insurance
- It allows you to release a tax free lump sum from your property to spend as you wish. You can boost your retirement in-come, allowing you to enjoy your retirement, whether that be on holidays, home improvements, a new car or helping out loved ones.
- You can opt to have the interest added onto the loan each month, without you having to pay a monthly payment back to the provider.
- It allows you to live in your property for as long as you wish.
- It can potentially allow you to draw further funds down at a later date, without further approval.
- The Rate of...
Posted by Sam Eynon on October 9th 2014 in General News, Insurance
From the 1 October 2014 tax discs will no longer be issued by the DVLA and vehicles won’t be required to display windscreen tax discs. Instead, vehicle tax details will be held online by the DVLA. The DVLA will continue to issue vehicle tax reminders to registered vehicle keepers.
The impacts for motor traders are:
- The vehicle seller is required to immediately notify DVLA of the change of ownership - using the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate
- The DVLA must be notified if the vehicle is being SORNed - using the V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate
- The vehicle tax isn’t transferable - the seller will automatically...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on October 1st 2014 in Financial, General News, Insurance
The government have recently announced they will be introducing strict regulations of the, as of yet, unregulated letting market which will make it compulsory for letting agents to sign up to an independent redress scheme.
From the 1st October 2014, letting agents will face very heavy fines of up to £5,000 if they cannot prove they are signed up to one of the three independent redress schemes with either the Property Ombudsman, the Ombudsman Service: Property or the Property Redress Scheme. It will also require for a letting agent to take out professional indemnity cover and to continue with this cover...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on June 30th 2014 in Financial, General News
Following the 2014 budget announcements, an increased level of interest is emerging from clients as to the options now available relating to pensions and retirement planning. The changes are primarily around flexibility and allowing individuals to have control over their pension income in retirement. The government proposes that there will be no requirement to purchase an annuity and no restrictions on the amount of income that can be drawn from the accumulated fund. But will this help you?Planning for Retirement
When planning for retirement, it's important that you take into consideration all of your assets. For some of us, after working...
Posted by Cheryl Phillips on January 22nd 2014 in Financial, General News, Insurance
Joint Press Release: ELF & Pavey Group
ELF is delighted to announce that Pavey Group has agreed to help fund and sponsor the ELF Community Transport Service, an integral part of the ELF Community Support Programme, launched in May 2013. Over the next 2 years Pavey Group will make a significant contribution towards the transport service.
Often treatment for blood related conditions can be complex and visits to the Haematology Centre at the RD&E Hospital can be on a regular or infrequent basis, making NHS transport difficult to access. Covering all of Devon, the ELF drivers will collect patients from, and return...