Halloween and Bonfire Night Spark a Rise in Theft
Tips to Deter Burglars
- If you are hosting a Halloween or bonfire night party in you back garden make sure front windows and doors are locked.
- Leave a radio and lights on to give the impression that people are at home.
- Use a timer switch to turn lights on as it gets dark.
- Avoid telling strangers who know your address – such as delivery men – that your house is likely to be empty.
- Put your car and bikes in your garage or out of the way for the night and don’t leave your keys in an obvious place.
- Move garden ornaments and potted plants from the front of your house and out of sight.
- Make sure sheds, garages and outbuildings have robust locks.
* Aviva commissioned research with One Poll among 2,500 homeowners about their habits and activities on Bonfire Night from 24-27 September 2013.